The man in the video says he hadn’t slept in 20 hours and wasn’t drunk, and ran away after the accident because he was afraid that angry bystanders would kill him. He was later detained.The Moscow city traffic authority identified the driver as 28-year-old Chyngyz Anarbek, who is from Kyrgyzstan.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSpeaking to The Associated Press from the town of Muras Ordo in Kyrgyzstan, Anarbek’s older brother said only had been working as a taxi driver for a month. He said his sibling was in “stress, shock, horror” after what happened.“Let people say what they want, but my brother is clean, not guilty. He was never and could never be a terrorist,” Almazbek Anarbek said. DepEd’s Taal challenge: 30K students displaced Dave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operations Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trial Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours View comments The younger Anarbek won a bronze medal last year in the world championship of Pankration, an ancient sport combining skills of boxing and wrestlingVideos circulating on Russian social media and some news websites after the incident showed the taxi veering onto the sidewalk Saturday and striking pedestrians. The accident took place on Ilinka Street, about 200 meters (650 feet) from Red Square and Moscow’s famous GUM shopping arcade, an area popular with tourists.Viktoria Geranovich, who works nearby and filmed the fleeing driver on her phone, described her shock.“I called the ambulance right away,” she told The Associated Press. “I was trembling. It is not a thing you see every day, when a taxi drives right into the crowd.”Moscow police would not comment on whether the crash would affect security measures for soccer’s World Cup, which is being held in 11 Russian cities over the next month. Among the security concerns has been the possible use of vehicles as weapons.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Russia has also been working with law enforcement from other countries to secure the tournament.“The sense we are getting is that (the taxi crash) is not football-related,” Mark Roberts, head of U.K. soccer policing, told the AP. “At the moment, everything we are being told is that it was just a run-of-the-mill event.”A spokeswoman for FIFA told The Associated Press that World Cup organizers regretted what happened, but referred security questions to Moscow authorities because the crash took place outside stadiums or fan venues.The spokeswoman, who was not authorized to be publicly named, said World Cup organizers were in regular contact with local authorities on security.The Mexican Embassy said the two injured female fans met with embassy representatives and were not hospitalized. The Mexican national soccer team plays against Germany on Sunday in Moscow.The head of the Moscow health department, Alexei Khripun, was quoted by the RIA Novosti news agency as saying the other injured people were in satisfactory condition. Three Russians remained hospitalized Sunday, but were expected to be discharged in coming days, Khripun said.International soccer fans in Moscow shared information about the crash, but didn’t appear to let it dampen their enthusiasm.“It is pretty horrible that something like that has happened,” said Mexican supporter Julio Domingues. But, he added, “there are crazy people everywhere.”Fellow fan Fernando Ibarra said: “We hope our countrymen are OK! Big hug to the families too. Viva Mexico!” In this image provided by Moscow Traffic Control Center Press Service, ambulance and police work at the site of an incident after a taxi crashed into pedestrians on a sidewalk near Red Square in Moscow, Russia, Saturday, June 16, 2018. Police in Moscow say at least seven people have been injured when a taxi crashed into pedestrians on a sidewalk near Red Square. (Moscow Traffic Control Center Press Service via AP)MOSCOW — The suspect in a taxi crash near Red Square that injured two Mexican soccer fans and six other pedestrians as Russia hosts the World Cup told interrogators he fell asleep at the wheel, Moscow city police said Sunday.The police released a video of an interrogation session with a man the Moscow force identified as the taxi driver. In the recording, he says he briefly dozed off and accidentally hit the gas. It was unclear whether the man spoke under duress.ADVERTISEMENT Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film MOST READ Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES Mexico beats defending champion Germany 1-0 at World Cup
They are also facing a possible five-year jail term after video footage caught them attacking two Russian trade ministry officials in an upscale Moscow cafe. Police said the players have been detained as suspects under criminal investigation.“Pavel Mamaev has been detained according to the criminal code for 48 hours. He is suspected of hooliganism,” police spokeswoman Irina Volk told TASS state news agency.Around an hour later, police told Russian news agencies that Kokorin had also been detained as a suspect for the same time period.The footage showed one of the officials, Denis Pak, an ethnic Korean, being hit with a chair while eating a meal. Now the former Russian international players, who have courted controversy in the past, could be banned for life from playing in Russia.“This case is unusual in terms of our football and the league has addressed a request to the ethics committee of the Russian Football Union to impose a lifetime ban on Mamaev and Kokorin,” Premier League spokesman Sergei Alekseyev said Wednesday. Although they have not yet been formally charged, the pair have been named by police as suspects in a criminal probe over hooliganism.Responding to a police summons, Mamaev arrived at Moscow’s police’s central investigation department on Wednesday afternoon for questioning. Kokorin then missed a 6pm deadline to appear for questioning, but police later confirmed he had arrived. Neither player was seen by waiting journalists.Krasnodar has pledged to terminate Mamaev’s contract while Zenit has condemned Kokorin’s role as “disgusting”. The Saint Petersburg club removed all t-shirts bearing his name following reports of the attack.Pak’s lawyer Gennadiy Udunyan earlier told Russian state television: “They started to mock (Pak’s) ethnicity”. The players then allegedly assaulted Pak when he made a critical comment.He added: “He has a concussion.”Before the cafe assault the footballers attacked the driver of a television host and damaged her Mercedes in a separate incident on Monday.The driver was hospitalised with injuries and a criminal probe was opened.On Tuesday, Russian President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov said the Kremlin — “just like the whole country” — was aware of the incident and described the video as “rather unpleasant”.– ‘Lowlifes who went berserk’ –Krasnodar forward Pavel Mamaev in action against Nolito of Spanish side Sevilla. © AFP/File / STRINGERCommentators, meanwhile, were keen to underline the players were not part of the Russia team that punched above its weight to reach the quarter-finals as hosts of the World Cup this summer. “We should specify that those two…are not currently members of the national squad,” Igor Rabiner, a columnist for the Russian daily newspaper Sport Express, told AFP.Kokorin last played for the national side in late 2017, while Mamaev was last selected in 2016.Rabiner added: “The players who represented Russia at the World Cup dramatically changed the country’s attitude to the game with their successful performance and that is diametrically opposed to this pair’s deeds.”For Alexei Lebedev, chief sports writer at Moskovsky Komsomolets daily, the ugly incident following the World Cup euphoria “has already transformed the image of Russian football and, unfortunately, not in the right direction.”“Fortunately, however, those responsible for Russian football and the Russian Premier League have understood this well,” he said. “They reacted strongly.”It is not the first time the players’ behaviour has raised eyebrows.The RFU suspended the pair in July 2016 after a video emerged from a Monte Carlo nightclub in which Mamaev and Kokorin allegedly spent $296,000 (258,000 euros) on a champagne-fuelled party following Euro 2016, where Russia flopped.Kokorin, who sat out this year’s World Cup with a knee injury, later apologised for his behaviour and was welcomed back into the national team. Mamaev last played for Russia at Euro 2016.“Now they’re just lowlifes who went berserk,” Rabiner added. “Just ill-bred people who went crazy on the huge money that they receive from their clubs.”0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Russian footballer Alexander Kokorin in action for Zenit Saint Petersburg against Slavia Prague. © AFP/File / Olga MALTSEVAMoscow, Russian Federation, Oct 10 – Russian police on Wednesday evening detained disgraced footballers Pavel Mamaev and Alexander Kokorin for 48 hours as suspects in a criminal probe following an unprovoked attack on two government officials.Premier League chiefs have requested a lifetime ban for Krasnodar midfielder Mamaev and Zenit Saint Petersburg forward Kokorin.