With talk of robots taking over jobs in the not-so-distant future, people find themselves wondering how to ensure they don’t become obsolete.The answer is simple: Stretch your skills, knowledge, and approach to work.“To be ready for tomorrow, we need to stretch today,” says Barbara Mistick, who delivered a keynote address at the CUNA HR & Organizational Development Council Conference. “If people stretch today, it gives them a much better chance for the future.”Mistick explores the future of work her new book, “Stretch: How to Future-Proof Yourself for Tomorrow’s Workplace,” which she co-authored with Karie Willyerd.The book examines steps people can take to prepare for the new world of work, where technology will play a vital role. Mistick encourages employees—and credit union leaders—to consider five transitional behaviors: continue reading » 10SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
Winger Matt Jarvis is concentrating more on a strong finish to his first season at West Ham rather than an England recall. “As long as I continue performing at a high standard consistently we will have to see what happens but I’m just concentrating on making sure I play well for West Ham week in, week out. “If I keep performing as I do hopefully they will be watching Andy (Carroll) and I can get in on the act as well. “I think I’m playing as well and as consistently as I was and I keep playing well and creating chances and get a few goals myself.” The three points earned against struggling Wigan took West Ham back into the top half of the table and Jarvis is pleased with how the season has gone. “I think we can look at it that we had a fantastic start to the season, really put our stamp on it and it got us right up the league,” he added. “We have been able to try and build on that and get as consistent as possible and I think we have shown in the last month or so that we can do it away from home now.” Press Association Jarvis was signed for a club-record fee by Hammers boss Sam Allardyce during last summer after Wolves had been relegated from the Barclays Premier League. The 26-year-old scored his second goal of the season as West Ham ran out 2-0 winners over Wigan on Saturday but said afterwards he is not focusing on trying to add to the one England cap he received in 2011. “I can only do what I do on a Saturday for West Ham,” he said.
LONDON: West Bromwich Albion won promotion back to the Premier League after a two-year absence, joining Leeds United in the top flight next season after a 2-2 home draw with Queens Park Rangers in a dramatic finale to the Championship season on Wednesday. The point for Slaven Bilic’s side was enough to ensure second place in England’s second tier after Brentford blew their chance by losing 2-1 at home to lowly Barnsley. A win for Brentford would have sent them into the top division for the first time since 1947. Brentford will go into the playoffs along with Fulham and Cardiff City but in a huge swing in fortunes, Nottingham Forest missed out on goal difference with Swansea City grabbing the last slot in astonishing fashion. It was a nervy night at the Hawthorns after West Brom, who knew a win would secure promotion, fell behind to a Ryan Manning drive in the 34th minute. Goals from Grady Diangana and Callum Robinson either side of halftime, however, put the Baggies in the driving seat. But a wonderfully-taken goal from Eberechi Eze brought QPR level and set the nerves jangling again for a side who had been in the top two since October. With Brentford level at 1-1 with Barnsley, a goal for the Bees would have pushed them above West Brom but Barnsley, battling for survival, had other ideas. Clarke Oduor’s stoppage-time goal snatched the three points for the Tykes, setting off celebrations in West Brom. “We are just relieved, it’s been a long season, with the break, and I think we have a good honest group of boys and if I’m honest we’ve cared too much, we’ve taken too much pressure on ourselves, tried too hard,” said West Brom captain Jake Livermore. Two-times European champions Nottingham Forest were well placed to head into the playoffs and keep alive their hopes of returning to the Premier League for the first time since 1999. But Sabri Lamouchi’s team suffered a shock 4-1 home defeat by 16th-placed Stoke City and Swansea won 4-1 at Reading to pip Forest by a single goal in goal difference. At the bottom, Hull City and Charlton were relegated along with Wigan Athletic. Wigan have had a 12-point penalty imposed on them after going into administration, although they can appeal that decision. Leeds who had already secured their return to the Premier League after a 16-year absence, rounded off their campaign with a 4-0 win over Charlton before they were presented with the league trophy. Agencies Also Watch: #NewsMakers: Exclusive chat with Kenny Basumatary, Actor & Director with Oineetom Ojah
(REUTERS) – Australia’s cricketers and board should extend their previous agreement by 12 months while they attempt to find a solution to a bitter pay dispute, former captain Michael Clarke said yesterday.The previous Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) expired at midnight on Friday with no sign of a deal in place, leaving around 230 leading cricketers without contracts and the fate of future tours in limbo.Once the deadline passed, Australia’s players threatened to boycott an ‘A’ team tour of South Africa later this month unless a new agreement was struck with Cricket Australia beforehand.“What needs to happen is keep the current MoU for the next 12 months and allow the players to get back to what they do best,” Clarke told reporters at Nine Network’s marketing launch for the Ashes.“Cricket Australia, the ACA (Australian Cricketers’ Association), please go behind closed doors and sort this in private.“The players want to play … let’s allow them to play while this stuff gets sorted out in the background.”At the heart of the acrimonious dispute is Cricket Australia’s (CA) insistence that the two-decade-old model, under which players get a fixed percentage of revenue, should be jettisoned.CA believes the revenue-share model is unfit for modern times and is starving grass-roots cricket of funding, while players say it has underpinned the game’s growth and prosperity over the past 20 years.“I don’t want the Australian players to be unprepared because they have been concentrating on something else; give them 12 months and let them concentrate on the cricket,” Clarke said. “I don’t want to see any cricket missed.“There will be a compromise. The ACA and Cricket Australia will find a way to make this work.”The ACA has called on CA chief executive James Sutherland to come to the negotiating table but he has remained silent since emailing players in May, informing them they would be unemployed if they failed to agree to a new MoU by the June 30 deadline.“It does seem very strange. You’ve got to wonder what the hell is going on,” former Australia captain Ian Chappell said.“They’ve done a few strange things and Sutherland not being involved is one of them.“I don’t see a really good reason for him not to be.”Further tournaments, including a two-Test tour of Bangladesh and a one-day international series in India also remain in doubt if the dispute continues to linger on.“I can’t believe they (CA) will want to upset India, so I would have thought that something will happen before,” he said.“Because they won’t want to cancel that. If they get something done then, people will have probably forgotten by (the time the Ashes start in) November.”
Jim Boeheim is confident in his Syracuse team heading into the NCAA Tournament after a strong showing at Madison Square Garden last week. The Orange found its offensive rhythm and earned three tough wins en route to a runner-up finish in the Big East tournament.That week was the team’s final tune-up for the NCAA Tournament, where fourth-seeded SU (26-9) will take on No. 13 Montana in San Jose, Calif., on Thursday at approximately 10 p.m. in a second-round matchup in the East Region. The Grizzlies (25-6) defeated Weber State in the Big Sky Conference tournament championship to earn the league’s automatic bid. If SU advances to the regional semifinals, it will travel to Washington, D.C. Indiana is the top seed in the region with Miami, Marquette and SU rounding out the top four.The Orange defeated Seton Hall, Pittsburgh and Georgetown to reach the conference title game before falling to Louisville, which earned the No. 1 overall seed in the field.“We survived a difficult schedule and I think we’re playing good basketball right now, which is all that really matters at this stage, is that you’re playing well,” Boeheim said. “And this is the best that we’ve played all year.”The performance in New York served as a turnaround for a struggling team heading into the tournament, as SU lost four of its last five games in the regular season and finished ranked No. 19 in the Associated Press Top 25 poll.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe victory over Pittsburgh, which beat the Orange at the Petersen Events Center during the regular season, proved crucial.“We’re playing so well, we probably moved our seed from an eight to a four in a week,” Boeheim said. “Pittsburgh’s an eight seed, so we would have been an eight seed if we hadn’t beaten Pittsburgh probably, so this is one time where the Big East tournament had a huge effect on where we ended up in terms of seeding.”If Syracuse advances, it will face the winner of the matchup between No. 5-seed UNLV and No. 12-seed California, giving the Golden Bears the potential home-court advantage in California.But Boeheim said that comes with the territory in the tournament, and Syracuse will be prepared for that challenge. The Orange was battle-tested in the Big East, which got eight bids in the tournament, and overcame its late-season struggles last week.With veterans Brandon Triche, James Southerland, Rakeem Christmas and C.J. Fair all logging significant minutes during last season’s run to the Elite Eight, Boeheim feels experience will help the Orange when it arrives in California.Triche echoed his coach’s confidence after a big week in New York that saw Southerland break a tournament record for 3-pointers and Michael Carter-Williams tie a single-game record for assists with 14. Those performances, along with breakout games from Trevor Cooney and Baye Moussa Keita, got the team going after a brutal finish to the regular season.“I think just even playing in Madison Square Garden, it almost felt like an actual tournament game,” Triche said. “So as long as we just stay together and me, Mike, James and C.J. lead, I think we’ll be fine.”The challenges include adjusting to a three-hour time difference and preparing for the Grizzlies on Thursday. Boeheim and the players dismissed any concern on being ready to go in California, but the head coach said he didn’t get a chance to see Montana play this season.Boeheim said he’s still in the process of gathering information and getting tapes to watch to begin preparation, but he knows his team is in for a fight.It’s a lesson Southerland said he and his teammates learned last year when No. 16-seed UNC-Asheville gave them a scare in the second round.“I think going into the tournament, the only thing you really focus on is how the team is doing,” Southerland said. “Every game’s a battle.”And Boeheim and his players speak with confidence as they get ready for their first one with Montana on Thursday.After regrouping in New York, Syracuse is focused and ready to make another postseason run.“If we can play like we played in New York, which I absolutely believe we will,” Boeheim said, “we’ll be fine.” Comments Published on March 17, 2013 at 6:27 pm Contact Ryne: [email protected] Facebook Twitter Google+ Related Stories UNDER PRESSURE: Syracuse unravels in 2nd half of Big East championship at hands of fast, physical Louisville defenseVideo: Boeheim addresses Big East championship loss
The WBC middleweight champion meant a lump of coal in the form of a knockout. Getting that done would give Charlo his 30th professional victory and 22nd KO. From there, Charlo would go back to waiting for his own gift-wrapped box in the form of a big-name fight against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez or Gennadiy Golovkin, hoping to make one or both part of his 2020 vision.Join DAZN and watch more than 100 fight nights a yearSecuring a bout with either could be a difficult task, considering both Canelo and GGG fight on DAZN, while Charlo is a PBC fighter. Alvarez, his trainer Eddy Reynoso and Golden Boy Promotions have been rather unpredictable with his booking of late, too, with his last three fights taking place in three different weight classes: An 11th-round TKO of Sergey Kovalev in a light heavyweight tilt in November, a unanimous decision over Daniel Jacobs in middleweight action back in May and a third-round TKO of Rocky Fielding at super middleweight in December of 2018.Currently, Canelo owns the WBA (Super) middleweight championship, the WBA (Regular) super middleweight title and the WBO light heavyweight strap that he got by moving up two weight classes and defeating Kovalev last month. When Reynoso spoke with FightHype earlier this week, Charlo wasn’t on Canelo’s short list of potential opponents. That list did include GGG, Billy Joe Saunders, Callum Smith and John Ryder.As for Golovkin, the 37-year-old got a lot more than he bargained for against Sergiy Derevyanchenko in October. While Golovkin did earn the unanimous decision to claim the IBF and IBO middleweight titles, plenty of boxing pundits felt like Derevyanchenko did enough to win the fight. Whether that performance from GGG will make the Kazakh warrior reluctant to unify titles with Charlo remains to be seen.”I don’t know, man,” Charlo told Sporting News with a sigh. “Hopefully we get the looks of those guys one day. I feel like I can stand in there with those guys.”Charlo, 29, has quality wins — his December 2016 victory over Julian Williams arguably being his best — but it’d take an even bigger name to truly allow this lion to roam boxing’s most coveted den.If Charlo has to move up to super middleweight at 168 pounds to catch Canelo, he’s willing and able. However, if Canelo and GGG spurn him, Charlo has just the right opponent in mind — none other than Jacobs. After hitting the Canelo sweepstakes only to fall short to the Mexican fighter on the cards in May, Jacobs moved up to 168 pounds and will face Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. on Dec. 20.Despite Jacobs also fighting on DAZN, the timing of his fight and Charlo’s before it puts the two fighters on essentially the same schedule. And there’s mutual interest, considering their bit of history following a testy exchange the two had backstage last year.”I will, for sure, for real,” Charlo said about moving up and facing Jacobs. “It will happen.”Of course any of those three fights would be in jeopardy if Charlo loses to Hogan, who’s moving up from junior middleweight to 160 pounds to challenge for the title. Hogan spoke about having more power in his punch during the press conference Thursday, but Charlo isn’t buying it.”If Hogan says he’s more powerful at middleweight, then he’s going to come to fight and stay in the pocket,” Charlo said. “If he comes to box, I’ll come to fight, and if he comes to fight, I’ll be able to box him. Regardless, we’re going to make adjustments in the fight. “If he can’t take my shot, I’m going to hit him flush and put him out.”Check that box, and Charlo can enjoy being dad over the holidays. The Houston native who waves around the “Lions Only” mantra recently welcomed his latest cub, daughter Journi — his first daughter after four sons. That gives Charlo a renewed sense of purpose.”You got to have more respect for yourself,” Charlo told Sporting News. “[The trash talk] looks good to people, but later on it’s, ‘Dad, why did you say this? Why did you say that?’ You gotta be able to become a man.”Charlo turns 30 in May. He can only do his part against Hogan first and hope that the marquee names hear this lion’s roar and feed his hunger. Jermall Charlo sneered in Dennis Hogan’s direction with some final words.”It’s going to be a good night of boxing and that’s all I have to deliver — something explosive,” Charlo said Thursday to end the press conference at The Tillary Hotel in Brooklyn before his fight Saturday night just one mile away at the Barclays Center. “A nice little Christmas gift for you, homie.”
Six residents of an assisted-living facility in Broward County have died from COVID-19, including three new deaths that were reported Thursday.The death toll at Atria Willow Wood in Fort Lauderdale has been rising since the first resident died there on March 16, and others have tested positive for the disease.At this point, 16 residents have tested positive, including the six victims, according to the company that owns the center on West Commercial Boulevard. Results from two more tests are pending.“Our primary concern right now is supporting our residents and staff and doing everything in our power to keep them safe,” Atria officials said in a statement Thursday. “We will also continue to work with the Department of Health and Agency for Health Care Administration as we monitor and respond to this ever-changing situation.”Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has blamed Willow Wood for the deaths. He says that “construction workers, staff and cooks who were ill were not screened” and allowed to socialize with residents, despite warnings for such facilities earlier this month.The company insists the facility began implementing precautions on March 4 to protect its residents, including screening visitors and workers.Broward County currently has 504 confirmed cases of coronavirus, second only to Miami-Dade throughout the state.